Thursday, November 23, 2006

LLM

So I'm thinking of applying for postgraduate study next year. I Britain law is an undergraduate degree and postgraduate work will not advance your career prospects unless you want to go into academia.

My reason for wanting to do a Masters in Law (LLM) is purely to avoid working. I have absolutely no career plans or hope for future employment. I'm not particularly good at law, although I'm very passionate about it. The only thing I ever did well in life was when I studied theology, but the boat has sailed on that option.

As usual I'm going for the bottom and mainly applying to universities with
little prestige, i.e. the former polytechnics. I will, however, apply to a couple of good universities, hoping that they somehow might make a mistake and admit me. That strategy worked for getting into Southampton.

The places on my list right now are Southampton Solent University, University of Portsmouth, East London University and the London School of Economics. It really depends, however, on if and where the Church is going to ask my wife to work.

5 Comments:

At 23 November, 2006 12:21, Blogger karlund said...

Good luck Torsten

Notice that you haven't put Reading on the list! Shame, it would have been nice with you around here...

 
At 23 November, 2006 17:32, Blogger Torsten Pedersen said...

I just havent thought of Reading since they have already turned me down once...

 
At 24 November, 2006 08:32, Blogger Lasse Bech said...

Better to be passionate than good!

 
At 24 November, 2006 11:27, Blogger karlund said...

Well, they might like you now ;-)

 
At 24 November, 2006 15:23, Blogger Torsten Pedersen said...

Just got back from a postgrad. fair at my uni and did indeed talk to a rep. from Reading. She diden't know much about the law shool, but did give me a contact and spoke about how beautiful the campus is!

Lasse, yes you're right. Just need to convince a potential employer of that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home