Friday, January 20, 2006

Thoughts in the middle of the night.

It is 1.52 in the morning, I've been listening to the online radio broadcast of the Pittsburgh Penguins - New York Rangers (the Rangers are leading 1-0). I can't sleep. My mind keeps thinking about next weeks examinations, for which I'm not prepared. What was I thinking applying to do a law degree?

When you can't sleep everything seems very bleak!

I just put down my laptop and reached for my new daily devotional book. The reading for the 18th of January quotes Isaiah 41. In verses 9-10 God is saying to Israel:
"You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off"; do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. - New Revised Standard Version
I need to be reminded of God's promises to his people!

It is now 2:55.

2 Comments:

At 23 January, 2006 16:14, Blogger Torsten Pedersen said...

John,
Thanks for the tips.

I went to my first exam today, in Property Law. It went alright. I wrote about Adverse Possession (that is how to aquire title to land by squating on it!)

 
At 26 January, 2006 15:43, Blogger Torsten Pedersen said...

Well, not exactly. Adverse Possession in the UK, is when someone moves into property, uses it as if they were the title owner and excludes everyone else from it. Their possession is then adverse to the interest of the owner.

The law used to be that after 12 years, the adverse possessor would become the new legal owner of the property. The law has been changed in 2002, but is still relevant to 10% of property in Britain.

An important case (Pye v UK) was decided in November 2005. Here an owner lost his ownership of property worth € 31 million, because his neigbour used the land to graze sheep on without permission.

I do not know how the law works in the US.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home