Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Confessions of a Backslider

I realized this weekend that I'm a 'backslider'. A backslider is an unfortunate term used in church circles to describe members who are gradually becoming disconnected to the church. I dislike the term because it mistakenly indicates that church attendance is the essence of being a Christian.

What happened was that I woke up Saturday morning after my wife had left for church and realized that I no longer go. I can't really remember if I have been to church since Christmas (although I do know for sure that I didn't attend a Christmas service, as we had a lively discussion over the Christmas dinner as to whether Christmas has, or should have, anything to do with Jesus).

Anyway, for a while I have only been attending church to make my wife happy. Its not that I am against the church or that I don't believe anymore, on the contrary, my belief in Jesus is the central hope in my life. Its just that I'm bored to tears in church and really I don't feel needed there.

I accept that I must take responsibility for myself and actively strive to be a part of a church community. I do believe, however, that most churches fail to engage the majority of their members in important lifesaving work. Neither do they convey to their members the message that they are needed. When I say engaged I don't just mean being involved in the church service, but engaged in doing work they like, have talent for, and (most importantly) believe is important.

As a backslider I should know!

5 Comments:

At 08 February, 2006 12:54, Blogger Lasse Bech said...

Come back to Remix! ;)

 
At 10 February, 2006 00:07, Blogger Torsten Pedersen said...

Thanks for the invitation Lasse.

I guess there is just no going back after being involved in a project like Remix.

How can going to through the motions of church, as it happens most places, satisfy the call of discipleship? Jesus calls Christians to much greater things. Right now, however, I feel like I am wondering in the desert, because I know there is more to the Christian experience.

 
At 22 February, 2006 05:03, Blogger David Hamstra said...

Perhaps you are meant to water the desert?

(Easier said than done. Trust me; I know.)

 
At 03 March, 2006 17:00, Blogger Jan McKenzie said...

Hi, I looked for an email. I'd like to have a private discussion. Thanks.

You can find my email at www.thejerichoroad.com
My Bio there will fill you in.

My eblogger site points there, as I changed webhost soon after starting with Blogger.

 
At 06 March, 2006 21:45, Blogger Torsten Pedersen said...

Thank you guys for your comments.

I guess my post was as much a protest against my own staying away from the church, as it was an expression of my desire to feel needed in the church.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home