Thursday, October 12, 2006

The day Thurman Munson died.

The tragic death of New York Yankee pitcher Cory Lidle in plane crash, brings back memories of 2 August 1979 when Yankee catcher Thurman Munson died in plane crash.

I was then a 8 year old boy who loved baseball and the Yankees were the team of the day. The year before I had been allowed to stay up late and see the Yankees beat the Dodgers in the World Series. The Yankees were for me larger than life, until Munson crashed and died.

For me, Munson's death was almost like Buddy Holly's death was for Don McLean. I realized that day that life involves death in very real way and that everything is not as it should be in this world.

2 Comments:

At 14 October, 2006 14:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in little league and my hero was Thurman Munson. Lidle's death brought it all back. Thanks for the therapy bro.

 
At 16 October, 2006 00:48, Blogger Torsten Pedersen said...

Thanks. I think Munson's death affected many of us who where kids in the 70's and loved baseball.

I've found several blogs sharing similar sentiments to mine. See, for example, dcat.blogspot.com and johnybaseball.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home